Re: Problems using windows NT networking authentication

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 10 May 1999 12:09:10 -0400

"Evert J. Smit" <e.smit_at_caiw.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to connect the users at the office with the same password as they
> connect to the domain server.
> I'm using version Oracle 8.0.4.0.0.
> What I've tried allready is:
> * added the line OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX = "" in the init file.
Good.

> * added the line SQLNET.AUTHENTICATIONS_SERVICES = (NTS) in the sqlnet.ora
> file. (There is another line called SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES =
> (SECUREID) which was allready in the sqlnet.ora file).
This is probably the cause of the problem. Since there are two entries in the file, Oracle took the first entry. Since you are not using SecurID to connect, the connection will fail.

> * created a user with Sqlplus under the system account with: create user
> <example> identified externally

Good.

> * gave this user example the dba role
While it's OK to do this, I'm wondering why you the user the DBA role. This is a very powerful role and should not be given to every user.

> I thought this is all you've to do. For testing i restarted the computer and
> logged in under useraccount example. So when I tried to connect Sqlplus with
> the following command line : sqlplus /@hddb (hddb is the alias we're using)
> there comes an ORA message.
> Which is 'ORA-01004: default username feature not supported; logon denied'.
> But I thought that I did everything right.
> So what did I do wrong ?
> Can anybody help me out please.

                                        Hope this helps,
--