Re: Rollback Segments ?

From: Sanjaya Ganesh <sganesh_at_apple.com>
Date: 9 May 1999 22:45:08 -0500

Hi Paul,

                Since the truncate is a Data Definition statement(commonly known as DDL), this will not store any entries in the Rollback segments and the current contents of the rollback segment will remain unaffected. But if you do a complete delete , it will get recorded into rollback segs. So first part of your question - truncate - can be explained as it will not store any RBS entries.

                Now as your procedure inserts records, the entries will pile up on the RBS, till you issue a rollback or commit or the procedure comes out. When you commit or rollback the RBS entries for your transaction will get flushed by one of the following ways. When you commit, it may get written into you archivelog based on your archivelog setting. When you rollback , the RBS entries will be used to bring back the original pisture of your records. WHEN YOU exit from the procedure , based on the setting of AUTOCOM MIT, it may do one of the above.

Hope this helps,
Sanjay