character set mismatch with nchar insert

From: Honza Pazdziora <adelton_at_fi.muni.cz>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 13:46:46 GMT

Hello,

I searched dejanews to discover that couple of people had problems with nchars before but somehow the problems were never resolved. I'll try to describe the strange behaviour I'm facing.

I'm using 8.1.5.0.0 on Solaris. The database was created with

select * from v$nls_parameters where parameter like '%CHAR%' PARAMETER,VALUE
'NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS','.,'
'NLS_CHARACTERSET','EE8ISO8859P2'
'NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET','UTF8'
which I hope is correct since UTF8 is a superset of EE8ISO8859P2.

The NLS_LANG and NLS_NCHAR environment variables are both set to american_america.UTF8.

I create a table with nchar column:

SQL> create table testa (name char(4), nname nchar(4));

Table created.

Insert into the nchar column results in

SQL> insert into testa values ('a', 'a') ; insert into testa values ('a', 'a')
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-12704: character set mismatch

Even if I want to insert data that is stored in the char column

SQL> insert into testa (name) values ('a') ;

1 row created.

SQL> insert into testa (nname) select name from testa ; insert into testa (nname) select name from testa *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-12704: character set mismatch

I get the same error message.

Does anyone know whot one should do to make Oracle happy dealing with UTF8 national charset? What character sets are not matching here? UTF8 vs. UTF8?

Any hint would be greatly appreciated,

--

 Honza Pazdziora | adelton@fi.muni.cz | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/  make vmlinux.exe -- SGI Visual Workstation Howto Any spam sent to my email will be rewarded by complaint to your ISP abuse   team and abuse teams of servers that relayed that message. It works. Received on Thu May 06 1999 - 08:46:46 CDT