Re: Oracle 8 .0.4 for NetWare

From: MMK Consulting <nothanks_at_repltothegroup.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 21:38:41 -0400

FYI - 804 is still "post beta" and 805 is the current release.

Oracle has never done much with the product on NetWare. I used 6036, 7.0 thru 7.0.16.6 (we were the .6 having diagnosed for them a space leak so severe we could reproduce it at will with the full ORA-600 stack). They literally had 3 support guys who knew 7.0.x on NetWare - period.

Does it still run in protected more (ring 0 in 3.x)? My servers locked up so often I tried to times I tried to time things over lunch :-)

NT took a lot of resources away from NetWare within the Desktop devel/supt group. Now Linux will do that even more as O people who want to use the most popular stuff are going to go to it from NetWare and even NT (Oracle hates all MS stuff including NT).

My advice is to review the absolute need to use Oracle on NetWare.