Re: [Q] Connecting to Oracle over Internet

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 13:04:00 -0400

I have used SQL Plus across the web and had mixed results. When I was using a dedicated T1 I was a happy camper. When I had to go transatlantic and then make a hop that went over a 2400 baud voice line I was ready to kill.

Based on my experience I assume that your performance across the WEB is a function of the speed of your connections and not a function of Oracle.

regards

Jerry Gitomer

zaq42_at_yahoo.com wrote in message <7gplua$ji8$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I've been tasked with connecting our web query system (uses Cold Fusion) to
>an Oracle database, via the internet, that is ~18 hops away (another
>company). The connection is quite slow.
>
>I can use SQL Plus and select table at a reasonable speed, considering the
>architecture.
>
>In order to connect to the Oracle Db via our web application, I must use
ODBC.