Re: Help: I cant insert

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 16:06:40 GMT

A copy of this was sent to yong321_at_yahoo.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 05 May 1999 14:58:35 GMT, you wrote:

>Is the error below because the string in the parentheses too long? Thanks.

no, its because the column name:

percent_of_first_time_resolution
12345678901234567890123456789012

is 32 characters -- >30 characters. You have a typo in there, the table kpi_period does not have a column by that name.

>Yong
>Email:yong321_at_yahoo.com
>
>SQL> insert into kpi_period 2
>(call_length,speed_to_answer,client_id,reporting, 3
>percent_of_first_time_resolution,sales_revenue,sales_conversion_rates, 4
>cost_per_customer_acquisition,customer_satisfaction,qa,staff_retention,produc
>tiv ity, 5 sitel_revenue,gross_profit_margin) values 6
>(1,2,326,'A',3,4,5,6,b,'7',8,9,10,11); insert into kpi_period * ERROR at line
>1: ORA-00972: identifier is too long
>
>From Oracle documentation I see this:
>
>ORA-00972 identifier is too long
>Cause: The name of a schema object exceeds 30 characters. Schema objects are
>tables, clusters, views, indexes, synonyms, tablespaces, and usernames.
>Action: Shorten the name to 30 characters or less.

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed May 05 1999 - 11:06:40 CDT