Re: 24x7 with full backup

From: Richard Hoffbeck <rwh_at_visi.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 12:06:17 -0500

There are several ways to do this ranging from cheap to expensive and relatively easy to really hard. Which one works best depends on your exact requirements.

The cheapest way is probably to do a cold backup, copy the files to a reasonably close backup machine, bring that instance up to a mounted state. Then start up the primary copy and routinely copy over the log files and apply them to the backup database. I think the command is something like 'alter database backup database ...'. This gives you a 'warm' backup that can be restarted as necessary. The process is just to copy over the latest active log file, do a point in time recovery and the start the backup database. There are also some ancillary issues that need to be dealt with, like swapping the IP numbers so clients can find the new database server, etc. I've been out of the game for a while so the specifics are a bit hazy, but it is definitely doable.

You could also look at running parallel server in a fall-over configuration so that a single machine failure is handled transparently. Much more expensive to build and I would expect harder to maintain, tune, etc. but worth it if your downtime requirements are tight.

--rick