IIS and Oracle

From: Shiva Nadarajah <shadaraj_at_cs.uah.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 14:07:29 -0500

I am running Oracle 8 on NT SP4 and use IIS 4 as my web server. The only DB I am using is the defauly DB that oracle creates upon installation. I used Net8 Config to create a service and then created an ODBC connection to the service using the Oracle ODBC Drivers [ version 8.00.0500 ]. I also updated the MDAC components [seperately comes with SP4].

This DB is used for the database class [30 users]. So the way its setup is that each user has his/her own schema which only they can access. They have their own tables within these schemas. They then use ADODB connections from the ASP to pull data from and add data to their tables.

Every once in a while, the ASP cannot establish connections to the DB and the machine has to be rebooted. I know that at these times IIS is working fine and can hand out static HTML pages and ASP's which dont make DB connections. At the same time users can use the Oracle Enterprise NT tools to connect to the DB from lab workstations and add/modify their data so the DB is still running. Yet, none of the ASP's will be able to access the DB.

Each students ASP file was in his/her own folder. So, in IIS, I made each folder run as an application in its own memory space. I even reduced the timeout for each app. Nothing seemed to work. During the week when the projects were due and the machine had the highest traffic the machine had to be rebooted at least twice a day.

Does anyone know what the problem may have been ? I would really like to avoid this problem next semester. Thanks for your time and help. Received on Sat May 01 1999 - 14:07:29 CDT