Oracle ODBC Help

From: Jamie <jndhorn_at_toolcity.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 00:33:49 -0400

Ok, first thing's first...I'm a total Oracle Newbie. So if you can't stand those kind of people, you might as well move to the next post...

Anyway, so here's what I have:
Win98
Oracle8 Personal Edition Trial CD
Downloaded Oracle 7.3 ODBC Drivers
A folder with some 7.3 .ora and .dbf files

Here's what I want to do:
Open up MS Access 97, use ODBC, read in the tables.

Assuming I have the proper logon/password param, how hard is this?

When I try to configure my ODBC settings, it says I have to set up the 7.3 client, lucky enough I bought my trusty demo CD!

The bummer of that is, when I go to install the Oracle7 Client, I get the following error from the Oracle Installer: po8rn80.vrf(95) Unbound Variable ORACLE_HOME_NAME Kinda stuck now I think.

All I want to do is basically import the database into Access. This is a one-time deal and if I can do it right once, won't have to do it again.

Say I get this O7 client running, I'm assuming an ODBC param is the server name, what will I tell it? Do I have to be the server too?

How do I uninstall the damn O8 PE anyway? Just delete the files?

I installed the O8 stuff, but now when I run the oracle installer, it just crashes with:
ORAINST caused an invalid page fault in module OIBKND32.DLL at 015f:00bed011.
and some registers and stack dump stuff.

I'm really hosed now.

Please help. Received on Fri Apr 30 1999 - 23:33:49 CDT