Re: Can't create database - this must be an easy one...

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 02:10:42 GMT

I have a couple comments, see below.

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:31:15 GMT, "James Paul" <tech_at_infosell.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm trying to create a database using Oracle 7.3 on NT Server 4. When I run
>my CreateDatabase script I get an ORA-01034 error - 'ORACLE not available'.
>Basically I did the folllowing:-
>
>(1) Installed Oracle
>
>(2) Ran scripts - Catproc, Standard, Dbmsutils, Catalog and Dbmsstdx

You need to run these scripts AFTER you create your new database.

>(3) I created an instance of my db using Oradim73.
>
>(4) I checked in the Services applet and there is an instance running.

When you installed Oracle, did you get a default instance? You probably did. I'm not sure what you named your new instance, but you should set the ORACLE_SID environment variable prior to starting Server Manager. For Example:

c:>set ORACLE_SID=ISEL
c:>svrmgr23

>(5) Run SVRMGR23 - connect internal and provide my db password. Get a
>message - 'Connected to an idle instance'. I assume this means I don't need
>to run 'STARTUP NOMOUNT pfile=e:\orant\database\initisel.ora'?

You DO need to start the instance. That "connect to an idle instanec" message is misleading. You still need to do the STARTUP NOMOUNT.
>(6) Run my CreateDatabse script and get an ORA-01034 error - 'ORACLE not
>available'

Hopefully after you set the oracle_sid environment variable, and you connect internally, your script will run. I just created a database on NT (NT 4, Oracle 8.1.5) today. The process is a bit intimidating at first, but after you done it a few times you get used to it.

Feel free to email me if my two suggestions don't resolve all the problems.

regards,

Jonathan Received on Fri Apr 30 1999 - 21:10:42 CDT