Can't create database - this must be an easy one...

From: James Paul <tech_at_infosell.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:31:15 GMT

I'm trying to create a database using Oracle 7.3 on NT Server 4. When I run my CreateDatabase script I get an ORA-01034 error - 'ORACLE not available'. Basically I did the folllowing:-

(1) Installed Oracle

(2) Ran scripts - Catproc, Standard, Dbmsutils, Catalog and Dbmsstdx

(3) I created an instance of my db using Oradim73.

(4) I checked in the Services applet and there is an instance running.

(5) Run SVRMGR23 - connect internal and provide my db password. Get a
message - 'Connected to an idle instance'. I assume this means I don't need to run 'STARTUP NOMOUNT pfile=e:\orant\database\initisel.ora'?

(6) Run my CreateDatabse script and get an ORA-01034 error - 'ORACLE not
available'

What have I missed? Any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks
James Paul Received on Fri Apr 30 1999 - 16:31:15 CDT