Performance implications of increasing a varchar2 column width

From: <jrb_6502_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:26:56 GMT

Hi,

I'm trying to get a sense of the performance implications of increasing the width of a varchar2 column in a frequently accessed table with several hundred thousand rows. The column is currently 30 chars wide. I'd like to make it 100 chars. An entire row is currently 230 chars wide, and would grow to 300. There are 3 indexes on the table, all of which include the column I want to grow.

This change is to permit new rows to be added that have wider data in that column. No changes will be made to existing data.

The database as a whole already sees some performance problems, though not necessarily related to this table. I'd like to get a sense whether this sort of change typically impacts performance.

Any concerns here?

Thanks,

Jonah