multiple identical constraints

From: <dyrdahl_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:10:58 GMT

I am working on a database which someone else created. This is an Oracle 8 database running on a NT server. I believe that the tables, indexes, etc. were originally created using the graphical interface provided by Oracle. I was looking at the all_con_columns view and noticed that there are numerous columns which have duplicate constraints.

In other words, they created a column with a not null constraint. However, there are actually two not null constraints for the same column. I am assuming that this is a bad idea since every update/insert will check the same condition twice.

Before I go and drop a bunch of these constraints, I wanted to know if anyone could see why there would be two and also if it matters which one of the two that I drop? Thanks.