Re: Strange Performance Behavior on INSERT INTO SELECT statement...

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:13:28 +0800

Dave,

These are thoughts and not backed up with solid proven experience.

NOLOGGING simply means that the database inserts are not recorded in the Redo Logs and therefore the operation is not recoverable in the event that you need to perform Media Recovery. I believe that the dictionary modifications are still logged though.

ROLLBACK logging is required with a simple insert as select because if the user fails or gets logged off, the PMON (or SMON) is still going to tidy up the connection and abort the transaction. Maybe as suggested, the amout of Rollback generated is reduced when using CREATE as SELECT.

Rgds
Andrew