Re: Oracle/Sybase

From: Bruce Watson <Bruce.Watson**NOSPAM**_at_EGarden.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 23:47:56 +0000

stanwalters_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> A client of mine has asked me to find some general opinions on some
> information that was provided by a consultant suggesting the use of Sybase
> over Oracle for decision support and financial applications. To increase my
> likelihood of a reply I'll summarize very briefly the individual points made.
> Any feedback is appreciated.
>
> * Oracle has Higher TCO. Sybase uses disk more efficiently than Oracle, and
> the DB engine is more efficient, saving on disk and processor cost.
>
> * Oracle cannot provide online backup of Whole Database, just table space.
> Sybase can backup the entire database online.
>
> * Sybase replication server which is based on transaction logs outperforms
> Oracle trigger based replication architecture creates which creates low
> performance and heavy database overhead.
>
> * Sybase is more popular in financial industry than Oracle. More financial
> applications exist for the platform
>
> * The Oracle PL/SQL interface and the cartridge strategy for encapsulation
> are closed and proprietary. Oracle is also a CORBA Centric Model and the
> initial look at Java support in the server suggests it is inferior to the
> Sybase strategy. Also, to connect to another DBMS you must install an Oracle
> server on that machine. In contrast to this closed and proprietary
> approach, Sybase transactional middleware is completely open and non-aligned
> in the CORBA/COM wars.
>
> Supporters and detractors are equally thanked for their time,
>
> Stan

I am also curious as to what the group thinks about Oracle vs. Sybase, but
in an e-commerce application. 90% of the data is read-only. The writing that does occur is into tables that aren't read much (shopping cart tables,
orders, etc). It is also a 24x7 application, so hot backups and replication
are of interest. Given the OS is Solaris, if it were *your* money, would you buy Oracle or Sybase for an e-commerce site? Why?

--
Bruce Watson

remove **nospam** from return address to reply Received on Sat Apr 24 1999 - 18:47:56 CDT