Re: re-ordering rows

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:26:35 +0200

John Higgins wrote
> Create table temp_A as select * from A order by x,y,z;

I really disagree.

I know that when your table has indexes on x, y and z Oracle might return the rows in a particular order if you only select those very columns without any join to another table. But as far as I know Oracle never promises you in what order the rows will be returned, unless you explicitly add an order by clause.

You simply cannot rely on the assumption that Oracle returns the rows in the very same order in which you inserted them!

Arjan. Received on Sat Apr 24 1999 - 03:26:35 CDT