Re: firewall sqlnet woes

From: Nandan Kalle <nkalle_at_questfs.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:47:41 -0400

Andrew/Dan:

I am also trying to connect thru firewalls. I believe it *is* possible, but I can't figure out how to configure the Listener properly.

Oracle's whitepaper, SQL*Net and Firewalls, indicates that in certain circumstances it *is* possible to configure the Listener to create shadow processes on a single port. Specifically, on page 3, it says "When the IP port number of the SQL*Net connection can be determined in advance, such as 1521, then connection can be permitted with some degree of security. Systems running multi-threaded servers, pre-spawned servers or ones with architectures that do not support IP port sharing, require dynamic port allocation which tends to prevent connections."

So, Dan, as long as you don't fall under any of the exemptions (MTS, pre-spawn or no port-sharing) this should be possible.

Page 6 of the whitepaper describes the connection sequence. "Depending on the operating system and TCP/IP protocl implementaiton, one of the following procedures is performed. 1) The listener bequeaths the client conection to the spawned server, effectively sharing the listener's IP port 1521. Wherever possible, the listener bequeaths the connection instead of redirecting it. 2) The Server performs a wild-card listen to obtain a unique IP port number from the operating system and communicates the port number allocated to the listner process. The listener then issues a redirect, containing the wild-card address, to the client and drops the conneciton. The client then calls the dedicated server process directly using the wild-card port number provided in the redirect message."

Obviously, we'd prefer option 1 to occur. The question is, how can we ensure that this happens?

We're running Oracle for Workgroups 7.3 on NT 4.0, so I don't think we fall under any of the "exemptions" listed in the first quote-- Dan, you should check and make sure you're OK here.

Do we need to do anything special to the listener to encourage it to use port 1521?

Also, is there a way to "trace" the listener to see how it's handling the connection?

Dan, if anyone sends you answers offline, would you pls forward them to me? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Nandan Kalle Received on Fri Apr 23 1999 - 14:47:41 CDT