Re: update date filed in tables?

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 20:04:07 +0200

Patrick Suppes wrote
> The to_date ('31-dec-99', 'dd-mon-yy') syntax overrides the default
> default conversion formatting. To_char(thrudate) = '31-dec-99'
> more precisely matches the default

Ooops! It is very, very bad practice to rely on the default date formats! The syntax Yongge used is certainly to be preferred (although using YYYY would have been better); yours simply should be avoided, unless you explicitly set NLS_DATE_FORMAT yourself (although even then there is no reason at all why you'd convert without specifying the date maskt). I hope Lucent has not hired "Database Technologies" for Y2k specific projects...

> mine requires a conversion for each row

... and disables the use of the index that might exist on thrudate.

Arjan. Received on Fri Apr 23 1999 - 13:04:07 CDT