Re: SQL Server v Oracle

From: Neil Pike <100577.553_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:08:20 +0100

Mladen,

> > On the same NT hardware as Oracle, SQL Server has the best tpcc numbers.
> > (www.tpc.org)
>
> Only in terms of the cost, not in the terms of performance.

 No. Oracle has never published NT tpcc numbers. They DO have larger tpcc figures, but only on non-NT platforms.

> > SQL 7 is easier to install, use and manage
>
> It's much harder to fine-tune and has some really nice features, such as
> lock escalation, which can do wonders in terms of concurrency. (SQL7
> converts row locks to a table lock if the number of locks exceeds a threshold.
> That can prevent another session from updating a table. In SQL7 readers do
> block writers which is even better for concurrency. And yes, you guessed it,
> Oracle does neither of those lovely things)

 I'd agree it's harder to fine-tune.

> > SQL Server is cheaper to buy than Oracle (though this is such a small part of
> > lifetime support costs it really shouldn't be a consideration)
> Only if you are comparing the price of Enterprise Edition version. Workgroup
> server costs rougly the same as SQL7.

 Don't you have to use Enterprise Edition for SMP machines? I was told a while back that Oracle Workgroup edition was as (or more) cost effective than SQL Server, so I got quotes from Oracle. I can't remember all the details, but we "had" to have Enterprise Edition and we "had" to have client licenses for every cpu in the SMP (4-way) box. This worked out MUCH more expensive than SQL Server. (And these weren't list prices from Oracle these were prices given to a large corporate already using Oracle on Unix and MVS a lot).

> > Extra facilities "in the box" - e.g. OLAP, English Query, DTS
>
> Most of them unusable or just a fancy name for a feature that Oracle has
> since the time unknown.

 So what are the Oracle names for OLAP, DTS and English Query? I haven't seen similar featured products in an Oracle box.

> I would like to add portability as a plus for SQL7. SQL7 can run on any
> platform as long as it runs NT, which is famous for it's scalability and
> stability. Rumor is that CHASE, CITICORP and AMEX will ditch their MVS
> mainframes and start running exclusively on NT on April the 1st, 2000.

 Arf ;-)

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE. Protech Computing Ltd  (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)  For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here  www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp Received on Wed Apr 21 1999 - 02:08:20 CDT