Re: Index on Primary Key

From: Rich Goldkamp <RJGoldka_at_dcss.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:32:11 GMT

The default behavior of Oracle is to index the primary key IF A MATCHING INDEX DOES NOT ALREADY EXIST. As long as a primary key is enabled, there is a corresponding index. If the primary key is disabled or dropped, the corresponding index is dropped IF IT WAS CREATED AUTOMATICALLY BY ORACLE WHEN THE PK WAS CREATED. If the index was defined independently prior to the creation of the PK, the index will remain when the PK is dropped.

As a side question, why wouldn't you want an index on a primary key???

Rich

--

Rich Goldkamp, Consultant, OCP		RJGoldka_at_dcss.com
Digital Consulting & Software Services	(504) 523-5005 x2736