Solstice Backup Database Module for Oracle - version 2

From: Herbert Zarb <herbert.zarb_at_bov.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:02:17 +0200

Hi,

I would really appreciate any help on this problem. We are using Solaris 2.5.1, Oracle 7.3.3, and Solstice Backup 5.0.1. The database is based on raw devices. In order to facilitate database administration, we created a set of symbolic links pointing to the raw devices so that the DBA refers to these links as if they are normal data files.

We seem to be having absolutely no problem backing up the database. However, we are not managing to restore properly. The problem we are facing is the fact that the system seems to be ignoring the fact that the data files (i.e. the symbolic links) are actually links to raw devices. Therefore, instead of restoring the data into the raw devices, it removes the symbolic link and restores the data into a file with the same name as the link (on the file system where the links reside). The documentation we have has been of little help in solving this problem.

Regards,
Herbert Received on Wed Apr 21 1999 - 11:02:17 CDT