Re: Caching in Sequence generators

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:44:30 +0100

If I remember correctly, I think the only good reason for using nocahce is when using parallel server. This will force the sequence number to be ordered across multiple instances. I did see some test papers on this several years ago. In our tests we were logging updates from several tables and using a sequence number to order the transactions. Because we were using parallel server we needed to set the cache to zero. If I remember correctly this slowed the process down by 20 to 30%.