Re: Need help on Page Locking feature

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:25:24 GMT

In article <7fi82f$s61$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   pearapon_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <371C80E0.9F69D0D4_at_email.mot.com>,
> Keith Jamieson <pdkj02_at_email.mot.com> wrote:
> > If you lock a Page you only lock rows on that table which are on that
> > page.
> > If you lock a Table you lock all rows, irrespective of which page they
> > are on.
> >
> > Page locking allows greater concurrency than table locking.
> >
> > Page Locking
> >
> > Jim Kennedy wrote:
> >

> Hi Keith ,
> Do you know whether Oracle support "Page Locking" ?
> If not, are there any other RDBMS that support this feature ?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Pearapon Saerekul
> pearapon_at_ksc.th.com

Dear Pearapon,

Why do you need "Page Locking"?? As others in this discussion have explained, it is not an advantage over row locking.

 My understanding is that multiversioning is the most advanced method used in a RDBMS. Only Oracle and Interbase use it (last time I checked, which was a few years ago). All the other products use either table locking or page locking.

I hope that helps.

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.