Re: Server to Server Communications

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:43:56 +0800

Arthur,

Yes you can get Oracle to insert the data into the second database using an Insert statement embedded in the trigger. On the source machine, you need to have the database alias in TNSNAMES.ORA and a database link created for the remote target. On the Target machine, you need to make sure that the LISTENER.ORA file is correct and running.

However, because the insert statement is in line with the transaction, you will be using Oracle's 2 Phase Commit (2PC and Distributed Transaction Option), which introduce some administrative issues for you. What happens when one of the machines crashed during the insert or commit statement.

Also, if you are using direct 2PC, then you need to remember that when the INSERT statement is issued and the Trigger fired on the source machine, the target machine MUST be online and operational. If the Target machine is down, then the trigger will fail and you won't be able to complete the transaction on the Source machine.

Hope this helps,
Andrew