Re: Newbie: Large data sets

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 20:16:23 GMT

In article <7ffrt0$463$1_at_sun-cc204.lboro.ac.uk>,   P.M.Hornsby_at_lboro.ac.uk (PM Hornsby) wrote:
> I'm new to ORACLE, so please be gentle...I'm writing a system to store and
> search code. As I understand it, if I were to use a char data type for
> a code field, I would be very restricted in the size i could have the code
data. So...what I need to know is howto best handle 'large' text data sets while
> still allowing searching. Just some general pointers in the right direction
> would be welcome.
>
> TIA,
> Pete

It all depends on how you want to search. As an example, I would suggest you look at the Oracle tables that store the source code for compiled procedures. That's one way of handling it.

VARCHAR2 is limited to 2000characters, which should be able to handle almost any single line of code.

The alternative is to use the CONTEXT option. This enables text searches on a LONG column. It must be enabled by your DBA and other set up is required.

So there are at least those two methods.

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.