Re: PL/SQL ':' -- colon

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:42:20 GMT

In article <7fh32b$qh1$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   w3dude_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Could any one please tell me what a colon means, in PL/SQL, when placed
> infront of a variable. eg. :var
>
> TIA

Given the small amount of context you provided, it is most likely a host variable prefix. When PL/SQL code is embedded in another program (e.g., a C program), the PL/SQL code can modify host language variables via this prefix.

(There is another context where it means something only slightly different, but I won't confuse you with that unless you really need it.)

BTW, keeping your question brief is great, but provide a little more info next time. (e.g., a few lines of code would assure me that I am giving you the right possibility of two choices).

Hope this helps.

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.