Re: Filling in the blanks

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:38:10 +0100

You will need to write a PL/SQL function like:

GetNextValue(varchar2 KeyPrefix) returns varchar2

This would need to start from the lowest value and continue until it finds an available key.
If multiple instances of you function can be run then remember that by the time you insert the row the key value may have been used so you will have to expect an error and try again.

To do this you should have an index on column_a and it's performance may be a problem depending on the number of keys for a given prefix.