Re: 24x7 with full backup

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_pandora.planet.net>
Date: 19 Apr 1999 12:50:14 GMT

First off, make sure your disks are mirrored. Raid 0+1 would be best.

Second, read about:

hot backup
point-in-time recovery
full and incremental backup schemes
standby databases.

Third: hire a DBA consultant who's done this before. You'll save a ton of money and heartache in the end - especially if you're not an experienced Oracle DBA.

The cheap-n-easy way to do this is to configure two identical systems, one as primary, one as standby backup using 8i, not 8.0.5, because 8i will automatically activate the standby database (under 8.0.5, you have to do this manually). Then if your primary fails you have failover built in.

If you choose to invest in a high-end array such as EMC Symmetrix they come with (optional) software that will let you break a mirror and back that up (or use for reporting or queries while you load the primary), then resilver quickly.

That ought to get you going.

hth -

Regards,
jh

ga (ga_at_alerts.co.il) wrote:
: My company just made a decision to go 24x7 with oracle 8.0.5.

: I am stuck with finding out if there is an easy way (i know that within
: oracle nothing is every easy) to get an oracle server up with 24 hours -
: 7 days a week access. And if the server dies, be back up - with minimum
: data loss within 1/2 hour.

: I have heard about oracle 8 with enterprise server and replication.

: Does that sound like the right path?

: I have no experiance with replication and do not know what its
: performance is or how complicated it is to:
: set up
: manage
: cut over to backup if the primary is down

: I know this is a long question - sorry.

: thanks ahead for any info
: GA

--

Jared Hecker	| HWA Inc. - Oracle architecture and Administration
jared_at_hwai.com	|  ** serving NYC and New Jersey **