Filling in the blanks

From: Liz Huckins <Matt_Liz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:14:18 -0500

Hi,
 I am trying to fill in the blanks in my clients customer numbers. Let me explain.
I need to do something like this
IF the user selects ABQ from the list of values THEN SELECT the min(substr(column_a,5,5 ) +1 my_number FROM table_a
WHERE substr(column_a,1,3) = 'ABQ'
AND my_number does not exist in table_a in other words the client may have customer numbers like ABQ.10000, ABQ.10001, ABQ.10003 and ABQ.10005 how do I fill in the blanks for them so the next time it selects a number for them to use it selects ABQ.10002 and the next time it would select ABQ.10004. I need to place this code in the custom library so that I can populate a column on an Oracle standard form.
Thanks in advance
Liz Received on Mon Apr 19 1999 - 16:14:18 CDT