dedicated tablespaces

From: Richard Baines <richardbaines_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:41:16 +0100

Is there any benefit for setting up different tablespaces to store tables that will perform different roles. (using RAID by the way).

We have a database used for general usage, lots of rows added to several tables and and regular deletions etc. We also have a set of archiving tables which are populated with data from the regular tables once a month, data is then exported from the archive tables, the archive tables are then truncated until the following archive occurs (standard sort of data archiving set up).

Are there any performance benefits from putting the archive tables in their own tablespace. Is the regular populating of these tables and truncating of these tables adding to disk fragmentation in my main tablespaces.

any experience/assisstance greatly appreciated

Richard Received on Fri Apr 16 1999 - 07:41:16 CDT