Problem reading varchar2 into vb5

From: Paulo Jorge Leitão <paulojl_at_esoterica.pt>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:25:00 +0100

Hi!

I am using :
Visual Basic 5.0 with SP3
RDO 2.0
Oracle 7.3.2.3.0
PL/SQL 2.3.2.3.0 I have a store function like this

testvarchar return varchar2 is
begin

     return '4';
end;

When I open a ResultSet in VB with a SQL statment like :

"select testvarchar from sys.dual"

i can only open it with rdOpenKeySet option but if I open it with this other SQL

"select to_char(testvarchar) from sys.dual"

it works and i can open it with rdOpenForwardOnly

my problem is that I have a much more complicate store function that returns a varchar2 like 'Paulo Leitao'

and the rdo engine don't manages correctly the value returned (it does not fecth the column)

I have other functions that return number and it works fine.

It seems that rdo does not understand what is the type of field and treats it as a chunk type.

but to_char returns a char or varchar2 and it works???

can you help me??

thx for any clues.

Paulo Leitao
Methodus Sistemas
pleitao_at_methodus.com Received on Thu Apr 15 1999 - 06:25:00 CDT