Re: Which of these selects is faster?

From: <silveys_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:14:55 GMT

  john0725_at_aol.com (John0725) wrote:
> If the where clause has ANDs then it is evaluated from the end of the query
> towards the beginning, but if it has ORs it is evaluated starting closest to
> the FROM clause and working its way downward.

Thanks, it's helpful to know that things are sufficiently complex that it seems oracle did not intend for users to predict the order of evaluation. (That sucks of course, and I'd like to see them fix it so that you could at least have the option to force a certain order.)

How did you come by this information? Trial and error? Oracle tech support? Actual documentation? Source code?

Thanks,

Scott