Re: databse link... not connecting

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:47:42 +0200

Marco BANO wrote

> error at line 1
> ORA-02085 databselink pippo.world connects to yyy.world.

For some reason Oracle decided that as of version 7.something a database link should have the very same name as the database it connects to. There is some database parameter to override that behavior (that is: to allow any name), but I guess it is to be preferred to follow the Oracle guidelines.

So: you should name your database link after the database. This is not too nice when you use the default database name (ORACLE on Unix or ORCL on WinNT) when you set up a new instance. If you have multiple database that use the default name, then you can not define permanent database links to those databases, as each database link would be named ORACLE...

By the way: when connecting to a ORCL database on WinNT, the database link should be named ORACLE, not ORCL. Don't ask me why...

Arjan. Received on Wed Apr 14 1999 - 10:47:42 CDT