Re: Question on SELECT LEVEL...CONNECT BY, tree-walking

From: <hlh_nospam_at_excite.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:07:18 GMT

In article <3714124A.8C0456C9_at_deere.com>,   John Higgins <JH33378_at_deere.com> wrote:
> The CONNECT BY syntax requires you to use the key word PRIOR to identify the
> parent side of the relationship.
> for example:
> CONNECT BY PRIOR psf_part = psf_assy
> or
> CONNECT BY psf_part = PRIOR psf_assy

That was exactly what I was missing. I knew that if I used PRIOR per your first example, I got the reverse tree-walk, and I hadn't seen the usage in your second example, so I had just assumed that leaving PRIOR out would give the forward tree-walk. Oracle didn't complain at the omission, so when it merely gave the wrong answer, I was completely mystified.

Many thanks.
--
Howard Lee Harkness