Re: Why is Oracle letting me do this? Security issue?

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:30:31 +0900

PMG wrote:

> I'd love to find out what the official term for this, and the justification for
> it. It seems to be a loophole in security, since I can indirectly modify a table
> that I do not have direct permissions assigned.
>
> Pete
>
> Andrew Babb wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think you will find that the trigger fires as the owner, and not as the
> > person performing the initial insert. Therefore, it is the schema of table A
> > performing the insert into table B, not User X performing the insert into
> > table B.
> >
> > Oracle does have an official term for this, which someone might be able to
> > provide, but I cannot remember immediately.
> >
> > Rgds
> > Andrew

Its not really a security hole....

(If you believe the Oracle marketeers...) it is a similar philosophy to object..The triggers/plsql/etc etc are "methods" for the objects (namely a table in this instance)...By "publishing" methods are you are providing a "rigorous" and "well-defined" access to the objects you are coding around...

There you go - thirty cliches in a single sentence..

But the concept does work...
--

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology