Re: Help -- the need for speed

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 14:38:42 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "J. R. Baker" <jrbaker_at_ccgate.hac.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 08 Apr 1999 15:58:49 -0700, you wrote:

>My group is trying to jam data into ORACLE as fast as possible.
>We get the data from a flat file, generate INSERT statements,
>and send them to ORACLE 8 using OCI calls (in MS C++).

are you generating insert statements like:

insert into t values ( 1, 2, 3 )

or are you using bind variables. If you are doing the above, 80-90% of your runtime execution may very well be in parsing the queries over and over again.

We have a tool called SQLLDR that'll load the data from the flat files faster.

>This works, but we are looking for speed. One way we
>increase speed is to launch multiple threads on the
>client and open a database connection per thread. This
>works great in SYBASE and perhaps less great in ORACLE.

use sqlldr.

>One problem is: we have lots of triggers in our database.
>If we turn triggers off, the data loads 5 times faster.
>This implies a server-side bottleneck. Right ?? Any
>ideas ??
>
>Another problem: When we get above about 15 connections,
>ORACLE just loses a connection now and then. Even when
>the connection has already been running a while, Oracle
>just seems to lose it. Anyone seen this type of thing
>before ? It seems much less graceful than Sybase. Sybase
>was able to go to 50 connections with no problem and
>was very well mannered if you asked for too many.

when you 'lose' the connection what is the error message? There must be an error message somewhere.

>Thanks in advance for any advice on these topics.
>
>John Baker

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Apr 09 1999 - 09:38:42 CDT