Re: Limiting size of function return value

From: Alexander I. Doroshko <aid_at_grant.kharkov.ua>
Date: 8 Apr 1999 08:25:44 GMT

We managed to make Oracle (v.7) to understand the true length of function return value in such a way only

 select substr(my_func, 1, 20) from dual;

--
 Alexander I.Doroshko, aid_at_grant.kharkov.ua

pat_800_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in article <7edvm7$lin$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
: Would anyone perhaps know how I might limit the size of a VARCHAR2
return
: value for a PL/SQL function called within a SQL statement? I have
: constrained the length of the internal function variable that is
returned,
: yet any tool that I for querying (SQL*Plus, TOAD, SAS) always creates
a field
: of the maximum allowable size for its text data type. This results
in fields
: of 200 - 2000 bytes for a 20-byte-max value. The value is not padded
to the
: right or left, so trimming is useless. Oracle just doesn't seem to
know how
: large the value will be, so it allocates the max.