Function vs Function()-no input parms-

From: Richard Elliott <bullseye_at_flash.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 00:16:20 GMT

I wrote a function to return a specific table/row/column. It needs no input parms. To execute this function I just reference it in the sql directly. ie

select get_accounting_date from dual;

The problem, a small but annoying one, is I want it to look like a function, ie
select get_accounting_date() from dual;

The way it is now it looks like a column name, not a function. I have tried default null parms but then I am forced to supply a value in the reference ie
select get_accounting_date(' ') from dual. There has to be a solution, other functions work the way I would like this one to, like sysdate() etc...
I have quite a few of these and I would really like for the SQL to be more readable by using the () with every function. I really have tried everything I can think of to get it to work with select get_accounting_date().

Thanks in advance for your help. Received on Wed Apr 07 1999 - 19:16:20 CDT