Oracle Names Server crashes

From: Juhan Kundla <juhan_at_ensib.ee>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 16:54:33 +0300

I have NT 4.0 SP4 Workstation with Oracle Names Server (version 8.0.5) installed on it. Names Server has a repository in a remote database. I ran the namesini.sql script to create necessary tables, then started the server with Oracle Net8 Assistant and everything seemed to be working fine.

Next I went to database server and shut down the listener and modified the listener ora file and set the parameter use_plug_and_play_listener=on (configured listener to use Dynamic Discovery Option), then restarted the listener. At this point weird things started to happen -- the names server crashed and names.log file was full of errors. I repeated this several times with different databases (different Oracle versions from 7.3 to 8.0.5), the result was always the same -- names server crashed.

Then I thought, OK, lets try it in different way, so I stopped using Dynamic Discovery and registered database services with names server manually. Everything went fine and if I used sql*plus (or similar programs) on the same computer where names server was, I was able to connect to databases. But when I configured an other computer to use names server (Oracle 7.3 client) then it crashed again.

Can anybody give a hint what is the problem. Damn, I'm kind of frustrated here... :)

One weird thing more: In the Net8 Assistant under names servers there is no Configure Server in the drop down list.

Juhan Kundla

I add the names.log file after last crash.

************Begin names.log**********************************

Oracle Names for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.0.5.0.0 - Production on 07-APR-99 15:29:53
(c) Copyright 1995 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

System parameter file is C:\orant\NET80\admin\names.ora Log messages written to C:\orant\NET80\log\names.log

NNO-00807: Error: OCI_NO_DATA
NNO-00267: warning: configuration database contains no data for server "[root]"
NNO-00315: server is listening on address
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=juhan.maasikas)(PORT=1575))
NNO-00065: loading cached data from checkpoint file "C:\orant\NET80\names\ckpcch.ora"
07-APR-99 15:29:55: NNO-00303: server "ns0.maasikas" started with process ID 205
NL-00052: fatal error occurred: unwise to proceed  NL-00051: internal error code, arguments: [1110], [8], [0], [], [], [], [] Received on Wed Apr 07 1999 - 08:54:33 CDT