Re: RAID configuration for Oracle8

From: Meinolf Klement <Meinolf.Klement_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 06:59:33 GMT

Putting all redo-log-files/groups on one disk bears a big risk: if the disk fails your database is gone.
With 5x4.3GB disks I assume that you are using RAID-5: Not much room left for configuration options: make three mount points/partitions for your control files, one for your system.dbf and one or two for your data and index files (well, OFA).
Depending on the number of transactions and the amount of data use two or three redo files. (Three or more for heavy workloads: when a log switch occurs, the first log is written to disk (assuming archive log mode), when another log switch occurs, the first one might not be ready again (means not been written to disk completly). Again two or three mount points for these.

I don't see there much use for redo log groups when all redo files placed on the same RAID-Set.

Greetinx
Meinolf