Re: not null constraint

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 17:46:27 GMT

On Mon, 05 Apr 1999 16:31:13 GMT, Sweth Chandramouli (sweth+oracle-misc_at_sweth.gwu.edu) wrote:

> (on a related note, is it possible (and if so, is it a good
>idea) to _create_ a not null constraint using the constraint clause
>syntax, rather than as part of an alter table statement?

You could create a CHECK constraint that checked to see if a column was not null, yes.

> i prefer
>to name my constraints myself, since sys00012 isn't very informative
>to most people, myself included.)

I like to name them myself too. It comes in handy for a number of reasons. I believe that you can name a not null constraint explicitly, but derned if I can't remember the exact syntax to do it. I could be wrong about that, but I seem to recall looking it up once.

regards,

Jonathan Received on Tue Apr 06 1999 - 12:46:27 CDT