Re: Building a lookup table

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 13:55:51 GMT

In article <01be7f1d$abe14940$16e12ad1_at_ztechnt001>,   "John Claxton" <ztech_at_intrex.net> wrote:
> I have a text file which I have imported where many of the columns are
> duplicated. I would like to build a lookup table which references those
> columns.
>
> TABLE_1
> LASTNAME VARCHAR2(n)
> STREETNAME VARCHAR2(n)
> CITYNAME VARCHAR2(n)
>
> LASTNAME_T
> LASTNAME_ID NUMBER
> LASTNAME VARCHAR2(n)
>
> Each LASTNAME column in LASTNAME_T would have one (or more) matching
> columns in TABLE_1. I would like to build the LASTNAME_ID column with a
> sequence number.
>
> Something like this:
>
> INSERT INTO LASTNAME_T
> VALUES (seqkey.nextval, unique(TABLE_1.LASTNAME)
>
> Any ideas?

I'll use an extra temporary table here to point out the steps, but something like this will work:

This could be done with a subquery, but I don't have ORACLE available on this machine to test it. And I have a habit of splitting these into separate steps because in more complex cases, it can be faster.

Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.
ORACLE services
440-498-3702