Re: Performance: Math Models??

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 15:54:42 +0200

John Mullee wrote:

> Has anyone developed math models of oracle's performance?
> There seem to be an *awful*lot* of heuristics, from
> the perspective of newbie DBA...
>
> I'm thinking of throwing an ER graph, with
> expected queries in relational-algebraic form,
> into a black-box that knows my hardware
> architecture and spews out optimal
> table/key/index structures and storage
> parameters. Or maybe even gives max
> TPMs for a range of hardware configurations.
>
> Or am I dreaming? Is such a thing more
> commonly referred to as a 'consultant'...?!
>
> john :)

Or Database Sizer - search the oracle site on sizer: it should come up with
Compaq, Dell and HP. The Compaq seems outdated, tho. --
Frank van Bortel

Technical Consultant Oracle
V&L Informatica BV

Work                                Home
Postbus 545                         Hunzestraat 4
7500 AM Enschede                    7555 WB Hengelo
(31)53.434.1500                     (31)74.242.5046