Re: 8i ORacle question

From: Peter Brenner <pbrenner_at_charlotte.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 19:42:55 -0400

We have heard some rumors that although the Java code is stored in the database, the generated class files are converted to dll's or their OS equivalent. This was done to improve the performance of the stored Java code. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!
peter

Thomas Kyte wrote in message <370d229d.31851740_at_192.86.155.100>...
>A copy of this was sent to Siavash <solati_at_nortelnetworks.com>
>(if that email address didn't require changing)
>On Mon, 05 Apr 1999 14:59:49 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am a bit confused with reading White paper about 8i architecture?
>>
>>is still 8i supports seperate Java Application server than
>>ORacle database server? or in 8i The Java application server is
>>integral part of ORacle database server?
>>

>>thanks in advance for your time
>

>In Oracle8i, release 8.1, contains a complete Java VM in the database (i
can
>write a stored procedure in java). I can encapsulate this java in the
database
>with EJB wrappers or Corba as well. I can call this java from plsql
routines, i
>can call plsql routines from java.
>
>This is different from java in OAS -- this java runs *in the database*, not
in
>the middleware. You would use it to program data intensive stuff (why pull
>boatloads of data over the network to a middle tier to find the 1 row you
really
>want -- just find the 1 row you really want to give it to some middle tier
or
>right to the client)...
>

>Thomas Kyte
>tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
>Oracle Service Industries
>Reston, VA USA
>
>--
>http://govt.us.oracle.com/ -- downloadable utilities

-
>Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
Corporation Received on Mon Apr 05 1999 - 18:42:55 CDT