A couple of Newbie Questions

From: Roger <frelancr_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 5 Apr 1999 02:14:11 GMT

Hi,

Idiot Number #3001 (me) would like to ask a few questions concerning (probably) easy stuff but which I don't know how to resolve.

  1. I've got 8i (Personal Oracle) installed on a nice Win95 box with plenty of memory, storage, etc. and I can sucessfully log on to my database. But after say 20 - 30 minitues of not using it, it seems to log itself off because as I attempt to shutdown the database, I get a small panel saying:
	"Oracle 12547
	 Can not attach to Oracle8"

Obviously the connection to my database is bad, I just don't know what/how to resolve. Why does my connection keep failing?

2) I've also got Developer/2000 installed but when I try to go to Forms Builder and connect, after I enter my valid user/password/database combination, D2000 just freezes and locks up like it cannot connect to the database. Why is this happenning? I do have a valid user/password/database-connect combo I've set up and have used it before.

3) Why doesn't SQL*Plus 3.3 work? I installed SQL *Plus 8.0 and it works fine but somehow/way when I installed my Personal Oracle and Developer/2000 it installed SQL*Plus 3.3 also and I can never connect using it. Basically everything just freezes up and of course it's very frustrating. How can I get things to point to SQL * Plus 8.0 instead since I know it's working. Why doesn't SQL* PLus 3.3 work correctly?

Thanks a bunch,

Roger French
Houston, Texas Received on Sun Apr 04 1999 - 21:14:11 CDT