Re: RAID configuration for Oracle8

From: <guruju_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 13:22:40 GMT

In article <7dug65$tjb$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   shan168 <shan168_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote:
> Hi, everybody,
>
> We just got a Compaq server with RAID disks (5 x 4.3GB). How should I
> configure this server? I.e. how many disks/partitions should be created, and
> how the redo logs/control file/data files be stored on these huge RAID disks?
> The concurrent users for the databases will be around 30 with 24x7 schedule.
> The applications tend to be (100 reads:1 write). Any suggestions will be
> deeply appreciated!
>
> S.H.

Hi S.H

  I am using RAID on HP9000. Its kind of tricky, make sure atleast you have one non RAID disk for your redolog files. The remaining is pretty much Oracle OFA configuration. Linearly distribute your mount points across the disks. There is lot more about RAID implementation. Performance is big issue.

    What it RAID level you are going to use, RAID5 or RAID 0/1. If it is (100 reads and 1 write) RAID5 may be appropriate, again depends on your block level striping.

Regards,
SCG
Systems Consulting Group, LLC
Herndon, VA