Replication and Table Design

From: Shmuel Cohen <shmulik_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 02:53:41 GMT

I currently have a database schema that includes sequences, i.e.,

create Table XX
(

        rec_id NUMBER

)

create sequence table_XX_seq ...

When record are inserted, each record is given the nextval sequence number as it's rec_id - so far, so good. I now need to create both an east-coast and west-coast version to provide better data locality - my question is: If I apply "loose consistency", that is , asynchronous replication of the data (each coast can receive new records for insertion in the database) - how can I keep the data synchronized properly? If the rec_id is a key field, then potentially, both coasts could accept an update during the "loose" period - assign the same value to the rec_id field, and then when the system does it's periodic replication, I'd have multiple records with the same rec_id - violating the DB integrity. What are the normal solutions around this?

TIA Received on Thu Apr 01 1999 - 20:53:41 CST