Re: WNDS in non-packaged functions

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 13:40:18 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Tod Meinke" <tod_at_airmail.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:17:30 -0600, you wrote:

>I have a function which does a grouping. When I try to use the function in
>a select statement, I get an error about not guaranteeing to update a table.
>Is there a way to guarantee this without including the function in a
>package?
>
>thanks

standalone Functions and Procedures have their 'purity' figured out automatically. They are always compiled with the highest level they qualify for.. so, moving this into a package won't fix anything because apparently this function either

So, if you put the function in a package, it will still fail only it will fail to compile now instead of run time. You need to figure out what this function is dependent on and set the purity for that.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Apr 01 1999 - 07:40:18 CST