Re: Beginning Oracle Class -- Book Suggestion?

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:20:15 GMT

In article <3700EFFC.EC54F228_at_bellsouth.net>,   Julie A Peronto <jperonto_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I will be teaching a beginning Oracle class to IT professionals this
> summer & I am having a hard time coming up with a book to use. I'll be
> concentrating on SQL & PL/SQL, combined with Oracle concepts such as
> transactions, indexes, constraints, etc. Can anyone suggest a book (or
> books) that would be appropriate for such a class? Either one book that
> covers both Oracle & SQL or one book for each would be fine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julie

I've also taught Oracle. One good book I can suggest is

ORACLE 8 The Complete Reference
Oracle Press
by George Koch & Kevin Loney

The Reference is nearly complete though somewhat criptic. But actually about two thirds of the book is tutorial on Oracle SQL, some PL/SQL, and Oracle Objects. There is even information on the Oracle Optimizer and internal tables (like user_tab_columns).

It starts out with a simple real-world (old-world) example and builds from there. It includes a CD with the text on-line and sample code/tables.

For my own use, I would prefer just the chapters with reference material which would take a lot less space too (400 out of 1200+ pages).

List price is hefty ($59.99), but you should be able to get it discounted.

Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.
ORACLE services