Re: Migration tool SQL 6.5 to 8i ???

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:26:04 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "david" <david_at_prsn.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:42:31 -0800, you wrote:

>I heard Oracle came out with a new migration tool going from SQL 6.5 to 8i
>but i cant seem to find it anywhere...
>
>Could anyone point me in the right direction???
>
>thanx,
>dave
>david_at_prsn.com

There are 'conversion' kits freely available. These point out some of the pitfalls and workarounds with the conversions. They are a good tool to have in your toolbox (as long as you don't expect them to do 100% of the work that is...) To get them, you need an account on technet -- thats free, just goto http://technet.oracle.com/ and get an account. Once you have an account, goto http://technet.oracle.com/ -> "Find" and search for:

conversion kits

you'll see them all there.

There isn't a specific "to 8i" conversion kit, rather they are "to Oracle" conversion kits. The major feature in 8i they might not mention as yet will be the addition of

"create global TEMPORARY table <tname> ( .... )"

in support of transaction or session level temp tables.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Apr 01 1999 - 06:26:04 CST